CATPROC gets invalidated

From: Alex Gorbachev <>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:50:34 +0200

Hi all,

This is very weird... Third time in the last few days catproc got invalidated. This is on database on AIX that was upgraded to and than downgraded back to (almost a month ago). it's a DW environment.

Last occurrence's description:
The issue appears in different forms one of which is trying to run DBMS_STATS:

ORA-04068: existing state of packages has been discarded
ORA-04065: not executed, altered or dropped stored procedure "SYS.DBMS_STANDARD"
ORA-06508: PL/SQL: could not find program unit being called
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 12210
ORA-06512: at line 2

I checked invalid objects DBMS_STATS and DBMS_STANDARD packages are VALID. There are some invalid objects though. For example, DBMS_SQLTUNE and DBA_HIST_* views. CATPROC component in DBA_SERVER_REGISTRY is shown as invalid. This time I was able to fix it with simple utlrp.sql.

Two time before we couldn't run utlrp.sql because DBMS_STANDARD was actually invalid and I could see it! So first time we went to startup migrate and catrelod.sql. Second time I just complied DBMS_STANDARD manually and than was able to run utlrp.sql happily.

After the second issue I enabled auditing for all DDL using AUDIT ANY PRIVILEGE (and excluded than SELECT/UPDATE/DELETE/INSERT). However, I couldn't see any DDL on sys objects in audit trail.

So how to catch what causes packages' invalidation and in the last case what the heck I couldn't run DBMS_STATS if it was valid as well as DBMS_STANDARD (which was in the error text)?

I can only add that another similar database in the same environment showed similar behavior just couple days ago. It's gotta be something similar and I believe caused by some user action. (This environment setup in very un-secure way and I wouldn't be surprised that some users/developers have actually access to DBA privileges but this is another story).

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev