RE: To use SAME or NOT for High End Storage Setup ?

From: VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 06:57:43 +0530

Kevin, Folks

For a DS8300 High End Storage:-

Which one of the following 2 is advisable:-

Qs. 1 Should ALL of the 47 (Hardware RAID 1+0) LUNs be Added into a Single Volume using Volume Manager (RAID 1 - Striping) - SAME concept?

Qs. 2 Optionally should some "Optimal Num / sets" of these (RAID 1+0) LUNs be added / assimilated into different (multiple) Volumes (of RAID 1 - Striping)? If so, What should be this Optimal Num of LUNs per Volume (4,6 or 8 LUNs) ?

NOTE - Database will be Laid out across all the 47 underlying LUNs

Qs. 3 Being an OLTP type Banking application 64 KB Stripe Unit Size is being considered for Both of the following 2:-

i) The underlying Hardware RAID1+0 for LUN creation

ii) Also for the Volume Creation using Volume Manager (RAID 1 - Striping)

Would folks advise using different Stripe Unit Size for the above (i) & ii)?

Thanks indeed