RE: Supplied Packages, Database Links, and SQL Injection

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:51:24 -0700

Thanks, this is very helpful. Now if Oracle would stop granting execute to public on these packages whenever one installs the latest patchset.

Ian

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of MacGregor, Ian A. Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 2:18 PM
To: oracle-l

Certain supplied packages such as dbms_export_extension are flawed, you can inject SQL such as "grant dba to me;" into them and the code will be executed. Now suppose you are pulling data from a database which includes sensitive information to one that does not via a database link. No sensitive data is accessible, the account on the sensitive database to which the database link connects has no privilege to access the sensitive objects. However there is a package, I'll call it dbms_flawed which is exploitable via SQL injection. A user runs dbms_flawed.exeute_this_at_remote_db('grant dba to me') thereby gaining that privilege or execute dbms_flawed.execute_at_remote_db('grant all on trusted_user.cofidential_info_table to me'); The controls setup to prevent improper access are bypassed.

The answer is to to not allow "me" to execute dbms_flawed. However, there are other packages which might now or someday be exploitable. How are folks handling this. Have you revoked execute privileges from public from all packages, a certain set of packages (if so which ones)? Is there a list of packages which have the potential to be exploited. Revoking privileges can be tricky. Dba_dependencies will find calls from stored procedures, but not anonymous blocks.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu

**DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the extent that it relates to their official business.