Password verification function

From: Schauss, Peter <peter.schauss_at_ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 14:24:13 -0400

I am trying to implement some simple password complexity rules by adding a password verification function to the default profile. I am using Oracle's sample code (utlpwdmg.sql) as a starting point. Looking at the code, I can see that it raises application errors (-20001, -20002 ...) for things like a password which is the same as the user name, password too short, etc. When I try to change a password, however, all I get is the generic ORA-28003 error, even when I try a password which, I believe, should pass. What am I missing here?

Environment: Oracle 8.1.7.4 with the cpuJan2006 patches, AIX 5.3.

Thanks,
Peter Schauss