Re: ASM is single point of failure ?

From: Ghassan Salem <salem.ghassan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 12:02:48 +0200

Steve,
I did not try it, but the documentation says (pl/sql packages and types guide):

You can copy any type of file to and from a local file system. However, you can copy
only database files (such as datafiles, tempfiles, controlfiles, and so on)to and from an
ASM disk group.

In fact the remark is because, dbms_file_transfer, when used with a non-ASM directory, can be used to copy any file (db or not) from a place to another.

I'll check for archived logs when I finish setting my VM.

rgds