RE: ASM is single point of failure ?

From: Andrey Kriushin <Andrey.Kriushin_at_rdtex.ru>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 01:09:54 +0400 (MSD)

Hi,

On Mon, May 8, 2006 21:32, Kevin Closson said:
> ...VxVM runs in kernel mode. Kill(1) sends a signal. You can't send a
> signal to something that runs in Kernel mode.

Well, so the bug in kernel mode code would definitely crush the OS. But that would never happen, of course, because everybody knows that bugs dwell only in oracle code. Probably this feature is perhaps copyrighted? ;-).

What is less plesant with ASM, actually, is a kind of buffered "I/O" between database and ASM instance processes. I mean, the blocks should be shipped between them somehow, right? So some additional CPU cycles are definitely there as well as more syscalls, context switches, ipc delays. The price for platform independence might be a little bit too high for busy systems.