3 node RAC listener cross-registration question

From: oracle <oracle_at_digistar.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 10:36:29 -0400

3 node RAC listener cross-registration question...

Clients are connecting to the "hostname" of the RAC servers, not the "hostname-vip" - I am thinking this is because the listeners are allowing the public hostname into the list of available hosts that the listeners are providing - I was wondering how I would need to configure the listener to allow clients to connect to the VIPs only and not to the actual host of the public interface. The hostname (not hostname-vip) does not appear in any tnsnames.ora on any client machine so my assumption is the only place the clients could get this information is from the cross-registration of listeners to the pmon of each node...

Notice that out of the 3 nodes, there are 3 connections to the public hostname and 3 to the VIPs... I'm thinking all of the clients should connect to the vips so if they move the client will not experience the delays, etc.

on app1:

$ netstat -a | grep 1521

tcp        0      app1:43448     node1:1521               ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      app1:43443     node3:1521               ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      app1:43474     node3:1521               ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      app1:43478     node1-vip:1521           ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      app1:43428     node2-vip:1521           ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      app1:43432     node2-vip:1521           ESTABLISHED

app1 is an application server
node1 is one of the 3 nodes in the RAC, same for node2 and node3.

How do I prevent the listener from handing out connections that aren't the VIP for each node?

Linux RHAS4 64bit/Opteron, Oracle 10.2.0.2.

Thanks