RMAN performance when using UNC paths

From: Vitalis Jerome <vitalisman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 13:27:56 +0200

Hi all,

It is not advisable to take RMAN backups through the network on Windows. However this is the solution we have to deal with for one of our customers.
All backups take about 10 times longer than they should (taking the backup to a local disk and then transfering the backup pieces on the UNC path is 10 times quicker, this matches the maximum bandwidth of the link).

Oracle support just answered that it was a Windows issue and that they could not help.
I've read a few posts about similar problems on the net, but none were answered.

Any idea?

That's Oracle 9.2.0.5.0 on Windows 2000, latest OS patches.