Re: Newbie question on recovering an offline datafile

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 23:42:32 +0800

Now that you have OPENed the TEST database, I presume with a RESETLOGS, you cannot "add" the "missing" file back in. (you would have *had* to do a RESETLOGS to change the database name).

The proper practice for controlfiles in cloning is :

  1. Take a controlfile backup from PROD when you clone the datafiles
  2. Use the controlfile backup to generate the create controlfile statement (so that it has *all* the current files in it)

(had you been running 11i, you would have been following the documented 11i cloning method.
I run 11.0.3 and have to do a manual clone, like you).

Hemant

At 10:18 PM Thursday, Jaeger David - Grand Rapids wrote:

>This is not an urgent situation as this only involves a test instance of
>the database. Here is the situation. I refresh our TEST and DVLP
>instances of our production database through a series of scripts. On our
>production database (8i) I added a new datafile to a tablespace. When I
>do this I manually add the new datafile definition to a script that
>creates the new control files for the refreshed TEST or DVLP
>database. Well this script wasn't updated prior to the last refresh of
>the TEST datasbase.
>
>At this point I receive error messages from our concurrent manager (we run
>Oracle Apps 10.7) containing ORA-376 and ORA-1111 errors. I found
>that the database didn't know what to do with the references to the new
>datafile and took it offline. I found the offending datafile and renamed
>it in the database, but now I can't bring it back online. It appears that
>the datafile needs to be recovered. I can easily solve the problem by
>refreshing the TEST database from last night's backup of the production
>database, but I would rather use this as a learning exercise. Can anyone
>guide me through the steps needed to resolve this issue?
>
>Thank You,
>David Jaeger

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital