RE: Using Unix debuggers to attach to Oracle processes

From: Schultz, Charles <sac_at_uillinois.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 08:52:24 -0500

Wow, that is very good. Thanks Stefan and Tanel!

Now I have to not only read that wealth of information, but understand it..... =) Also, we do not have access to gdb (used in Tanel's example), but I am hoping to use his examples and hack something together for our site.

From: Stefan Knecht [mailto:knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 8:43 AM
To: Schultz, Charles
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: Using Unix debuggers to attach to Oracle processes

Tanel Põder has an interesting presentation on this:

http://integrid.info/hotsos05/Advanced%20Research%20Techniques.pdf

HTH Stefan

On 5/4/06, Schultz, Charles <sac_at_uillinois.edu> wrote:

	Anyone familiar with using adb or mdb to attach to Unix (Solaris)
	processes? I am working with Oracle Support, but the guy behind the
	curtain (the developer) is in England, and it is hard to communicate
	quickly since our shifts do not overlap for long.

	This is what I have so far - I bomb on #5 with an "unknown symbol":
	1. adb -P'> ' $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle
	2. Wait for the "> " prompt
	3. Determine the OS pid of the shadow ("oracle$ORACLE_SID") process. The
	steps below assume that the pid is 123456.
	4. Attach to the process by typing "0t123456:A" at the "> " prompt
	5. Set a breakpoint in qmxtgrGetBindVal() by typing "qmxtgrGetBindVal:b"
	at the "> " prompt.
	6. Allow the process to continue execution by typing ":c" at the "> "
	prompt.
	7. Repeat steps 1-6 for all of the shared_server processes(p00x)and QC
	process executing the "adb" command under different windows.

	charles schultz
	oracle dba
	aits - adsd
	university of illinois