Data loading from production to development

From: Onkar N Tiwary <onkarnath.tiwary_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 05:23:16 -0400

hi list,

i have one question, i have refresh my development from production. the problem is as:

  1. there could be more tables in production than in development but i have to consider only those tables which are in development.
  2. no of cols could be more in production than in development. i have to load data only in those cols which are also existing in development
  3. triggers,constraints and other dependencies of the tables should be in place.

For this i decided to write a proc were i will store the tables from production in an array and then match the cols of those tables in development and these matched cols will also be stored in an array and then using this array i can build up a dynamic insert script/command to read data from production and then load data in development. but my problem is how to handle the situations of triggers and foreign key constraints.

If anyone has got something for this situation, then plz. pass to me or guide me on this issue. One more requirement, this entire process should not take more than 1 hrs of time and no of tables are somewhere 500 with at least 50k records/table. database will be in exclusive mode during the entire process.

Thanks,

--

Thanks & Regards,
T. Onkar Nath