RE: Backup and Recovery and DR - RMAN vs. NOT

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 14:35:24 -0400

  1. Since your sys admin has gone to the extra work of backing up tablespace by tablespace to minimize extra redo logging, an argument likely to be persuasive is that RMAN, because it uses the Oracle software rather than OS software to read blocks, cannot get “fractured blocks” and therefore does not need to log complete altered blocks on first change during a given hot backup.
  2. Since your sys admin has put a premium on speed of recovery (which validates your statement that he is very intelligent), just lay down the challenge to see just how fast a recovery he could create using RMAN versus “hot” file backups. This will be a good opportunity to train the junior in executing various recovery scenarios on your test machine.

Good luck and regards,

mwf