RE: Postgres book recommendations?

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 09:08:59 -0400

Mladen,

        I won't simply hand out the "wake up & smell the open source" to you. But in this day of trying to get more out of less there is a place for DBMS engines like PostGreSql. I use it & of all the open source systems out there I prefer it, mainly because it is a lot like Oracle. No kissing cousin mind you, but extremely close. And unlike MySql doesn't talk out both sides of it's mouth at the same time. There's just something about a "dual license" that makes me VERY uncomfortable. Like when do I cross the barrier between free & pay for and who decides? If you want an interesting, but very high level, look at the Linux database world take a look at Linux Database Bible by Petrovsky, Wysham, and Nichols. It's quite the world tour of databases open and closed source that run on Linux. That was where I found PostGreSql.