Re: [Q] download ORACLE software??

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 20:13:13 -0600

Tom,

   You may be missing a couple things.

   As Jared has pointed out, it is the the OTN development license that is ineligible for support. The software is *identical* to that which comes off the CDs, but you are not permitted to patch it, nor open SRs for it, nor ...

   What's more, if you read the OTN license very carefully, you might find that you're not allowed to use it (the OTN license) for anything, depending on your ciscumstances, anyway. Read the license carefully and be sure you fully understand it before using it. There is *nothing*, however, preventing you from downloading software from OTN and then using it within the restrictions of your particular (existing) commercial license. Oracle doesn't care about *media* -- they'll sell it to anybody with $50. (Or $70, or whatever they happen to charge...) What they care about is licenses...

   Licensing/support issues aside, the software you obtain from OTN is identical to that obtained from any other source.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead