Re: starting the database

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 22:15:55 -0400

On 05/01/2006 11:20:29 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
> I'm looking to make a cronjob that will every 5 minutes check if the
> database is up, and if not, start it. Does anyone have a script that does
> this available?
>
> Thanks.

It's called "OEM". You should start the agent and it will alert you if the instance is down, provided, of course, you configure it properly. You can even have two or more different instances, on two or more different machines, accessing the same database on the shared storage (SAN or NAS, multi-hosted SCSI adapters) so that if one instance goes down, your database is still accessible. Each of the instances has its own UNDO tablespace, each has its own thread of logfiles and one can recover for another. OEM can alert if one instance goes down, so your database always survives and is always available, even if one instance is inaccessible. It's called RAC. OEM & RAC is probably what you need, if your database is so critical that it is a problem to be without it for 5 minutes.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com