RE: Cognos anyone?

From: <genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 09:44:30 -0500

Thomas,

Thank you for your post.

I have tried materialized views, but they did not work that well for us because the reports that the users
wanted would have demanded a separate MV almost of every report. Can you explain the second
part of your approach - publishing only object in Cognos catalog? I am not sure what you are referring to here.

My problem right now is that whenever I get a question from a user "why is my report too slow", the report
in question is so big and so convoluted I can't understand what it does. Only if I see a full table scan
or a unneded cartesian join, I can possibly pinpoing a problem. In many cases I can't even paste
the SQL into a vi file because it is too big. How are you dealing with that?

thank you

Gene Gurevich
Oracle Engineering
224-405-4079

             "Mercadante,
             Thomas F
             \(LABOR\)"                                                 To
             <Thomas.Mercadant         <genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com
             e_at_labor.state.ny.         >, "oracle-l"
             us>                       <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
             oracle-l-bounce_at_f
             reelists.org                                          Subject
                                       RE: Cognos anyone?

             05/01/2006 08:53
             AM

             Please respond to
             Thomas.Mercadante
             @labor.state.ny.u

Gene,

I support Cognos here. We create either materialized views for simple views and publish only those objects in the Cognos catalog. Anything else is madness. You cannot control the end users in the Cognos environment. They will do what they will. It's best to have a Cognos unit that works with the DBA's to publish what needs to be accessed.

Good Luck!

Tom