NLS parameters

From: Jonathan Knight <knightjck_work_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:07:03 -0700 (PDT)

I ran into a problem yesterday with NLS parameters. (Below is the problem and remedial steps thus far.)

I've only had this machine a few weeks. I'm using Windows XP. When it was originally set up, the oracle 8.1.7 client was installed in English. I've since added language support for Spanish through the Regional Settings of Windows Control Panel.

Since the standard installation done by our PC technicians is not a full client install, I didn't have SQL*Loader and some other stuff I need for a project. So, yesterday morning I embarked on a full client install.

The installation program would not add to the existing oracle home, so I installed the Oracle 8.1.7 client to a new oracle home.

Now every session I create from this machine has the wrong NLS settings. I can change them with ALTER SESSION, but I'd rather they be defaulted.

I thought I'd found my problem in the Windows Registry when I saw the NLS_LANG parameter and reset it to a working value from a co-worker, something like "American_America.WE8ISO...". This remedied _most_ of the problem, but NLS_DATE_FORMAT is still wrong. It shows "YYYY-MM-DD", instead of "DD-MON-YY".

Oddly, this has affected connections from either oracle home, including the original one. I am changing the oracle home by altering the PATH environment variable.

Any ideas on defaulting NLS_DATE_FORMAT back like it was?

Many Thanks,
Jon Knight

Do You Yahoo!?