Re: IBM Flash copy and oracle

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:29:07 -0400

There's another reason that you can't (or don't want to) open the database on the backup server -- you would have to license Oracle there. In saying this, I'm assuming you're doing more than 10 backups per year...

Given that your management is being "cheap", you're probably close to the best solution you're ever going to get. All you need to do is register the backup files with RMAN. This is possible to do without opening the database, although sadly I have never done it, so I cannot tell you how. Basically, it would be the same process as registering with RMAN any other file that you backed up with an "OS" command.

--

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead

   Staff DBA,