Fast-growing agntsrvc.log

From: Paul Vincent <Paul.Vincent_at_uce.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:07:42 +0100

I recently set up Oracle Management Server on a server, in order to switch to the full 3-tier mode of Enterprise Manager, after years of using it in stand-alone mode. The version of Oracle we're using is 9.2.0.6, and the environment is Windows 2003 Server, running on a Microsoft Virtual Server.

After a few days of happy experimentation, I noticed that in the ORACLE_HOME\network\log directory, the log file agntsrvc.log appears to be growing at an alarmingly fast rate. What seems to be happening is that every 30-40 seconds, another of the following entries gets written to the log:

Inside ServCtrlHandler
Recieved ServCtrlHdlr command, 4

Any ideas what this might be about, and how to stop it? I've done some searches on Metalink and elsewhere, and found a couple of TARs, but no technical notes or white papers. The TARs were inconclusive - just said to do a clean-restart of the agent, but the people raising the TARs said they'd done this, but the problem continued. Indeed, I've done a clean-restart, and those messages still keep appearing every 30-40 seconds, filling up space on the logfile.

Incidentally, the reason I regard this as a problem is that I can't simply rename or delete the logfile on the fly - Windows won't let me because the file is in use. So the only way to clear it down is to stop the agent, delete the logfile, then restart the agent. Which seems a very clumsy way of doing things. A way of stopping these messages would be preferable!

Paul Vincent
Oracle DBA
UCE Birmingham