Re: RAC - NOARCHIVELOG to ARCHIVELOG migration

From: vikram singh <vikramsingh120_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 04:37:01 +0530

Hello All,

    firstly Thanks to all who have contributed to my issue. I have successfully enabled archiving in my database. The steps i have followed during the process are as follows:

The Steps that we followed while enabling archivelog mode in a RAC database.

steps:
-1) Backup the database!
0) Shut down all instances of the database, except the one upon which the changes will be made.
1) alter system set cluster_database=false scope=spfile; -- verification

SQL> show parameter cluster_database
NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
cluster_database                     boolean     TRUE
cluster_database_instances           integer     2

2) shut down and startup the same instance in 'MOUNT EXCLUSIVE'; ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 599785472 bytes

Fixed Size                   780280 bytes
Variable Size             166729736 bytes
Database Buffers          432013312 bytes
Redo Buffers                 262144 bytes
Database mounted.
NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
cluster_database                     boolean     FALSE
cluster_database_instances           integer     1

3) Set the required parameters.
SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET log_archive_start=TRUE scope=SPFILE;

System altered.

SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET log_archive_format='arch_%t_%s_%r.arc' scope=SPFILE;

System altered.

SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET log_archive_dest='/u01/app/oracle/oradata/bmc/arch/' scope=SPFILE;

System altered.

4) shut the database and STARTUP MOUNT

SQL> SELECT name,open_mode FROM v$database;

NAME OPEN_MODE
--------- ----------
BMC MOUNTED 5) Enable ARCHIVELOG mode

SQL> alter database archivelog;

Database altered.

SQL> archive log list

Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            /u01/app/oracle/oradata/bmc/arch/
Oldest online log sequence     16
Next log sequence to archive   17
Current log sequence           17

SQL> select name,open_mode from v$database;

NAME OPEN_MODE
--------- ----------
BMC MOUNTED 6) Set cluster_database=true again.
SQL> alter system set cluster_database=true scope=spfile;

System altered.

7) Shut down and restart all the instances.

    Our database is now in ArchiveLog Mode.

The above process has been tried and tested on our database. If anyone out there suggest a better way to do the same, please feel free to let me know.

      A special thanks to Andrey Kruishin. Sir, your steps were short and complete.

Thanks & Regards,
vikram.
P.S: sorry for the slightly longer mail ;-)