RE: Recovery from online backup

From: Alessandro Vercelli <alever_at_libero.it>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:11:34 +0200

Hi all,
I finally succeeded in restoring a whole db without any evident loss of data.

Below, some more comments, questions/doubts:

> 3- Restore datafiles:
>
> DO NOT RESTORE ONLINE LOGS FROM BACKUP!!!!
I restored the current online log because I needed to use it after the last archivelog during recovery

> DO NOT ERASE CURRENT ONLINE LOGS (if we have it)

I needed to simulate a complete loss and restore of db, so I backed up, deleted and restore all the redologs (with the rest of datafiles), but , as said above, I had any problem during recovery

> SQL> CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "XXXX" RESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG

> If we have current ONLINE LOGS (NOT BACKED UP CONTROLFILES) we can use NORESETLOGS

I could not use NORESETLOGS (ORA-01588: must use RESETLOGS option for database open): is this a consequence of restoring the online log? If yes, which is the difference between "not erasing" and "copying and restoring" if the all datafiles and controlfiles are lost?

> We will press RETURN UNTIL it ask for archivelog that donīt exist then we will pass ONLINE LOG path and file names.

Worked fine!

> 9- SQL> ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
>
> If we used NORESETLOGS before then “alter database open Noresetlogs”

I had to use RESETLOGS (see above).

Thanks for your help,

Alessandro