Cache buffer chains (kslbegin)

From: Stephen Anderson <st.anderson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:39:23 +0100

Hello,
I have a 10 minute statspack report from a busy time period, and have seen that buffer busy waits were the highest wait events. Would I be correct to then look at the Latch Miss Source at the largest sleeps? I have the following information there:

Latch Sleep breakdown for DB: MERLIN Instance: MERLIN Snaps: 244 -245
-> ordered by misses desc

                                      Get                            Spin &
Latch Name                       Requests      Misses      Sleeps Sleeps
1->4
-------------------------- -------------- ----------- -----------
------------
cache buffers chains          156,103,492      15,773       4,067 0/0/0/0/0
simulator hash latch            5,788,739         604          25
579/25/0/0/0
multiblock read objects           502,619         472          51
421/51/0/0/0
library cache                     486,962         409          44
365/44/0/0/0
Latch Miss Sources for DB: MERLIN Instance: MERLIN Snaps: 244 -245
-> only latches with sleeps are shown
-> ordered by name, sleeps desc
                                                     NoWait
Waiter
Latch Name               Where                       Misses     Sleeps
Sleeps
------------------------ -------------------------- ------- ----------
--------
cache buffers chains     kcbgtcr: kslbegin excl           0      2,439
3,749
cache buffers chains     kcbrls: kslbegin                 0        973
58
cache buffers chains     kcbzib: multi-block read:        0
308        0
cache buffers chains     kcbzgb: scan from tail. no       0
199        0

Can anyone confirm what "kslbegin excl" is? I found something listing kslbegin as a "macro to lock a latch", but didn't realise you could lock a latch in anything other than exclusive. With high sleeps on "kslbegin excl", where would be the best place to start digging into what caused these cache buffer chain sleeps?

Many thanks,
Steve.