Validating REf Cursor

From: Gabriel Aragon <gabriel.aragon_at_softtek.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:56:28 -0500

Hi list,

(Ora 9i-Win2k) I'm trying to validate a REF CURSOR to verify if it is empty or not. Basically the code is like this:

declare

TYPE lista IS REF CURSOR;
c lista;
x varchar2(100);

begin
  x := 'select valuedata from t where x=1'; -- valid query, returns 1 row   open c for x;

  IF c%rowcount >0 then
    dbms_output.put_line('data);
  ELSE
    dbms_output.put_line('NO data); -- does not detect rowcount and always print 'NO data'
  END IF;                          end;

I've changed c%rowcount for sql%rowcount with same results dont matter if the query returns rows or not, even using a NULL comparison (if c is null). What am I doing wrong? is there any other simpler way to do this?

TIA
Gabriel