RE: 750G disk details were leaked today

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:48:59 -0400

Humm, 750GB at 7200 RPM? Damn good target disks for Rman.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Paul Vallee Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 4:02 PM
To: Oracle Discussion List
Subject: 750G disk details were leaked today

Comrades:

As someone who has, more times than I can count, had to suffer through discussions on why an array made up of three huge disks in RAID-5 was not going to cut it for someone's performance-intensive database application, I was dismayed to notice today that Seagate has leaked an announcement of, get this, 750G disks. At 7200 RPM. I wept unabashedly and at length.

I think we must fight against huge disks for databases with all of our (admittedly quite meagre as DBAs) might and power. We will almost certainly lose this battle, again, obviously, but not without a fight. As as such, in the tradition of BAARF, I have launched BAHD for DBs, the Battle Against Huge Disks for Databases.

Please join me in my fight against huge disks for databases. Or not.

http://www.pythian.com/blogs/170/750g-disks-are-bahd-for-dbs-a-call-to-a rms

Thank you,
Paul