RE: Grid Control upgrade

From: Amit Verma <averma_at_umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:48:04 -0400

Sorry List for being late in updating you how it went. Here it is now;

As I said in my earlier email, Oracle Support said it's impossible to upgrade and move the repository db at the same time and there isn't much in it anyways, so I took the easy path to install 10gR2 OMS with a new 10104 db from scratch. I was planning to use a new 9206 db, the OS software packages required for 9206 on RHEL 3 and those required for OMS 10gR2 conflict with each other. Also, one required (I say required, because without it OUI wont even start) package isn't available for RHEL3, its available in RHEL4, which we are not running. So I just went ahead with just out-of-box install. After a few glitches (EMCA failures, OPMN failures etc), it's up and running, I am happy with it.

So now I have

OMS 10.2.0.1
Repo db 10.1.0.4
Agent 10.2.0.1

Moving databases from old OMS to new one was easy; just change the emd.properties file to reflect the new REPOSITORY_URL on the target node. Wait 5-15 mins, you will see the target (host and agent only) automatically discovered in the new OMS. Rediscover other targets such as dbs and listeners manually.

HTH,
-Amit.

Amit Verma
Senior Oracle DBA