Re: SQL Cost Compared To Elapsed Time

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:48:36 +0100

To add to Wolfgang's note.

You should include, and join, on the
child_number, as the same statement
text could have many different child
cursors with different execution plans.
Probably include the address as well
to cater for the unlikely chance that you had two texts with the same hash_value.

I would also eliminate command_type = 47 (pl/sql) from v$sql; and executions = 0 (the plan has probably been flushed already).

It might also be worth highlighting cases where buffer_gets is much higher than cost, because cost is a measure of I/O time - but for OLTP systems particularly - I/O time is a function of I/O requests, and the optimizer thinks (to a very rough approximation) that all logical I/Os are physical I/Os.

Tuning for large systems might be an interesting exercise. But choosing predicates to eliminate rows from v$sql and then using a nested loop might be the best option.

It's important to point out that the method is only going to identify extreme cases - and will probably miss some that are important, and will probably report lots that are red herrings.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ