RE: RMAN with OEM poll

From: Michael Fontana <MFontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:45:31 -0400

> Hi,
>
> Look for opinions on running RMan from OEM.
>
> We have a great system using shell scripts with sqlnet to do all
> flavor flavors of unix and windows. We recovery is basically two key
punch
> simple. Lots of checks in the system and so on.
>
> Now management says...lets redo it in OEM R2 because I can get
nice
> reports from OEM. My first thought is that I don't like introducing
> another layer of dependency
> to the recovery strategy.
>
> Management says.. by going to OEM we will save ourselves from
> creating code to maintain? I haven't looked..but is this just
marketing?
> Is OEM that good we can rest assured that we can recover 16 billion
worth
> of database with just the black box solution?
>
> To me, it's like here we go again... management wants a
brilliant
> solution with no effort put into it or to support it. My spidey
"sense" is
> tingling.

I have not tried this yet, but on the bigger question as to why management is pushing in this direction - you are entirely right - it is all Oracle marketing. And none of it is based upon tried and true, well-tested methodologies. I am sure Oracle sales is touting products (to generate revenue) under the guise of efficiency, and appealing to your management's constant search to cut costs (by eliminating a DBA or three).

Maybe I am conservative to a fault. Others might accuse me of trying to protect my livelihood. I suppose both could be true. But I see this as a business problem, not a technical one.

Would anyone upgrade a major application system with an entire new infrastructure based upon assurances of a salesman's pitch alone? Especially when a lot of resources, training and perhaps even end-user business process modification went into the existing one? I am sure this does happen, but at least it's been signed off at higher levels in most cases. Those at these higher levels pay at least a political price when the initiative is not deemed successful.

Make these points, in writing, to your management. If they force you to implement, and there are failures or delays, you have your evidence. If the document is well-written, and the failures at your site become well-publicized, you might need to show your words to the interviewer along with your resume!