My Early Impressions of Grid Control R2 Installation and Configuration

From: Michael Fontana <MFontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:20:09 -0400

Well, I am nearly one month into my attempt to setup a workable grid control matrix in a development environment without success. We are into our 3rd TAR with Oracle, and I have enlisted the help of several senior Oracle personnel through sales support, and all of them are utterly stumped as to why their product does not work in our fairly standard Solaris environment. One of them even intimated to me that we may be the first in our area to actually use the software on Solaris - that it was entirely designed and developed on Linux first and foremost (not sure that's really true - I don't think it's even completely developed on any platform, period!). We do have firewalls that default to DISALLOW ports, but that's only part of our problem, and is not that uncommon. When things don't work, for whatever reason, Oracle's software does not do a very good job of logging or reporting it. Even establishing that it is working completely requires grueling and detailed analysis and testing.

Several times now, I've been asked to uninstall and reinstall just to see if certain errors were fixed and whether others might be exposed.

Try to imagine having to setup a special init.ora parameter, do a database bounce, or even a software re-install to find out you have a primary key violation.

Not really sure where Oracle is going with this product. We've now been invited to a free one-day hands-on training class at Oracle because our sales support is so concerned about our inability to even evaluate this key software direction. Even though I will go, I am sure what I will see in the lab will just cause even more frustration.

Bewildering stuff.

Any comments?