RE: Oracle ventures into the O/S market.....?

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:18:45 -0400

I have a talk I give at OUGs around the country about database automation that makes a few general points on this subject:

With all of these things, Oracle starts to wonder why the OS is there, and starts trying to figure out how to get the OS out of the way as much as possible. I am sure they kicked around the idea of an OS, but this way, they get the best of both worlds. The OS vendor gets to deal with the hassle of device drivers and the like without Oracle having to try to implement that in the database, and Oracle gets a generic hardware access layer.

I think that the idea of Oracle having the full stack really drives from the perception that the database will become increasingly commoditized. There's folks from places like Forrester that argue that eventually the database will be completely automated. If you believe that to be true, or even that things are going to trend that way, it makes sense to try to own more pieces of the puzzle to maintain market share.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito