Re: Data extraction over dblink

From: Gus Spier <gspier_at_chiliad.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:08:21 -0400

That is correct. Attempting cross-load data over dbLink did not scale well. Of course, to be fair, the network itself was somewhat fragile and not something we had control over. Perhaps, with modern equipment and the support of the management, dblink could be a viable solution.

We found that it was more direct, less subject to failure, to create datafiles (usually on CDs or DVDs) and use sql*loader to put the data exactly where we wanted it.

If I recall correctly, asktom.oracle.com has a whole thread devoted to this type of activity.

r,

Gus