Re: 10g RAC -- Multiple DB's and mixed OS

From: Steve Perry <sperry_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:16:17 -0500

getting in late, but I'll add my 2 cents.

i totally agree with Jared on Windows weak shell and scripting language. the diagnostic tools are nicer and more plentiful on linux.

SANs have leveled out the playing field for performance so I haven't noticed a big difference in that area.
I haven't worked on huge databases on windows, but I used to administer a 2TB SAP database and it ran well. I started working with Oracle on Linux a year ago and I'm happier overall with it.
we don't load any GUI on the servers so everything is CLI and there are times I wished I had a "start" button :) the RPMs are kind of a pain to go find, especially with RHEL3 and RHEL4, oracle 9i,10g, 32-bit/64-bit....
Something you don't see on windows.

installing oracle from 2000 miles away is nicer on Windows than Linux. I'm not sure what the java/x-windows does, but it is sloooooow (5 minutes between moun clicks). It was a good excuse to learn silent installs :)
I guess we could load a desktop and VNC to get the same performance, but the sys admins give me "the look" when I ask about it...

the sys admins are the same for both. Neither know or care about Oracle so performance is really left to the DBA to figure out. Not making accusations - just an observation.

One similarity with Linux and Windows hardware that I had never heard of on solaris and aix - if the server is acting funny, reboot it or swap it out.
No root cause analysis or questions, it's just an accepted practice. with the big unix vendors, there were always analysis, meetings and writeups.

I guess with cheaper OSes, come disposable hardware.

sorry to get off topic and ramble.

steve