Data extraction over dblink

From: Sandeep Dubey <dubey.sandeep_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:33:12 -0400

I need to extract data from a remote database to local database. One of the column to extract is blob. Each single extract will fetch approx. 1 GB of data. Connectivity between the database is 10 mbps VPN connection over the internet. For security reasons Local database can have db link, ssh connectivity but not the other way. So it will be a pull mechanism from local and not push from remote to local.

I am trying to compare the following approaches to extract data:

  1. Extract data from remote database using dblink. Is it feasible to fetch 50K rows /1 GB data over a internet connection using db link? Is anyone using this approach?
  2. Write the data to a temp table on the remote database. export and import the data in the local database.
  3. Create a flat file for the data to be moved, transfer the file and load the file. I have a blob column. How difficult it is to write blob data along with other data to flat file and load using sqlloader?
  4. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Sandeep