RE: OpenSource : MySQL or Postgress

From: Michael Fontana <MFontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:02:59 -0400

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup-online.html
> OK, or are you thinking something else?
>
> It is there since v8.0, from 2005 Jan. Before that you could
> already do a dump.

Without having tested it, the recovery capabilities described in the documentation above do seem to indicate that point in time recover is now possible.

My question is: Does this capability come with the base product, and is it truly free?

Another issue we have at our site is that the project running postgres is on a version prior to 8.0, and there are no plans to upgrade. In fact, there is no DBA assigned to the project, only developers with SQL knowledge and a limited skill set (admittedly). They don't even see the need for what they consider "superfluous, advanced features" such as this.

Time will tell, won't it?