RE: oracleas 10gR2 backup

From: Adrian <ade.turner_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:32:28 +0100

Hi LiShan,

The cpio/tar backup of the home is a base line for restore; like a level 0 rman backup, and requires an outage.

The bkp_restore -m backup_config command is like an incremental backup of the configuration.

You would apply both to accomplish a restore.

Re your second question:

Backup_online performs an online backup of the Metadata Repository (eg a database backup)

Backup_config performs a full configuration backup using "dcmctl exportarchive" (eg an export)

The scripts themselves are fully reviewable if you want to know the gory details, however section 20 of the Administration Guide (B13995-03) goes into it in great detail.

HTH   Adrian