Re: Algorithm or ideas wanted for creative text parsing

From: rjamya <rjamya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:14:02 -0400

If I don't distinguish "blueyonder.co.uk" and "demon.co.uk", it will be just "co.uk" and that means most of commercial domains under UK tld. It will be akin to bundling most of us sites under ".com" alone.

if I had to take only the last 2 parts, it is a piece of cake, I wouldn't trouble this list for such a small RTFM issue. The problem I have is much more complicated.

And no, this isn't a rhetorical question at all. Raj

On 4/10/06, sol beach <sol.beach_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Rhetorical question -
>
> On what basis will the s/w "decide" whether 2 (akamaistream.net) parts or 3
> (blueyonder.co.uk) parts
> is the "right" answer?
>

> On 4/10/06, rjamya <rjamya_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> Basically I am looking to isolate just the (distinct) domain name from
> fully qualified domain names that you'd normally see in web-surfing.
>
> I am working on couple of techniques, but it gets complicated since
> TLDs differ in format and there is only so much you can do with
> substr().

Got RAC?