Re: Efficient way to detect lock contention/blocking sessions

From: jayaraj rengarajan <jayaraj.rengarajan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:05:53 -0400

John:

Thank you for the response. Interesting article, let me go through. Can we safely assume that 'enqueue' is the key to focus for identifying blockers ? (from the following snippet describing 'enqueue' in this paper).

Thanks
Jay
 'enqueue'

Enqueues are local locks that serialize access to various resources. This wait event indicates that one or more sessions are waiting for a lock on some resource that is held by another session (or sessions) in an incompatible mode to the requested mode. These are generally caused by user transactions holding 'TX' type locks – the waiting session posts this event and waits indefinitely. See Note 34566.1 for an in-depth analysis of this event. I would suggest a value of 1 for this trigger – an alert usually means that at least one session has locked an object (row or table) and one or more sessions are waiting for this previous session to COMMIT and thus release the lock. The V$LOCK, DBA_BLOCKERS and DBA_WAITERS views will provide adequate information for troubleshooting problems related to enqueues.