RE: Grid Control - opinions please

From: Bob Murching <bob_murching_at_budco.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:04:13 -0400

What Grid Control facilitates is enterprise monitoring and reporting, the broader question is, how important is that to you? In this future SOA world that everyone is blindly rushing into, servers and databases are mere components of an overarching application service that requires a somewhat different kind of monitoring or reporting. Or so the argument goes. GC is positioning itself to be the platform for providing that service-oriented monitoring, reporting and [potentially] administration.

Particularly with R2 and the various BigIP/MSSQL/Cisco/NetApp monitoring capabilities that are coming to light, Grid Control is trying to become less of a DBA tool and more of an enterprise service management console of sorts. Unfortunately, all that does is leave DBAs high and dry, while evolving OEM into the sort of thing that Gartner praises but in reality adds little value for many shops. Such is the way of IT, though. Accept it for what it is and make the most use of what [little] it offers to DBAs... that's my advice.