Re: Grid Control - opinions please

From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrich_at_pcci.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 09:18:25 -0500

Iıve been testing Grid Control for a couple of months, and in general Iım happy with it. After banging my head on R1 for a while, I gave up waiting for Oracle to release R2 for Windows, and installed it on Linux without any trouble. R2 addresses many of the complaints people have with R1, including multiple tasks in jobs, more flexible job scheduling options, job notification emails, simpler proxy configuration for patch downloads, and others. Also, its extensibility is impressive, as mentioned earlier.

That said, things aren't all sunshine and roses. Running in a browser does limit you to only working on one target at a time, though you could open multiple browser tabs to get around this. Certain targets have a bad habit of going into "Status pending" or "Metric collection error" status for no apparent reason; and I'm having the same issue as Jeffrey Beckstrom, where GC won't send me notification emails, even though everything appears to be setup properly. Finally, I haven't found a way to display a list of sessions on a database without using the Diagnostics Pack.

It does take a little getting used to, but in general GC R2 is a good tool. Between it and SQL Developer we have most of the functionality of the old java OEM console and a lot more. I use it because it's free (with a properly licensed database), but if you already have a purchased tool that does what you want, then there's probably not much point in spending the time to set it up. I guess it just depends on what you need.

Jason Heinrich
Oracle Database Administrator
Pensacola Christian College

--