Re: Grid Control - opinions please

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:55:15 +0200

Jared,

OEM definitely look more like the tool for enterprise, but some problems are to be resolved:

We are running all on HP-UX and this is perhaps the main issue. :)

GUI - well, one should accept that web interface is poor compared to desktop client. There are few exceptions though (like GMail) and, perhaps, Oracle will move web interface complete to AJAX technology in the future versions (but boy do I see how buggy it would be in the beginning).

Regarding licensing... well it all depends on your contract and in enterprise Oracle contracts you can easily try to get some of them included in the contract practically for free. Maybe oracle will reduce pricing for them so that more people can use them - I believe that one of big issues is that GC is seriously lacking rich customer base.

There is one cool exciting feature in GC 10g - extensibility. It's really nice what you can plug in into OEM.

Cheers,
Alex