RE: 10gR2 RAC on single SLES9 node

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:45:39 -0700

>>>In the interest of fairness, however, we once tried to
>>>deploy our reasonably large Oracle RAC development
>>>environment on Linux NFS servers as a cost-saving measure
>>>when we were a Wee Company (tm). We discovered some
>>>wonkiness in the Linux NFS server code would cause

Oh boy. Where in the world did I ever get misconstrued as suggesting simple-stupid-plain-jane-vanilla-Linux servers exporting NFS mounts as an option for "reasonably large RAC development environment" ?

The topic at hand is how to set up a multi-instance, single Server RAC test/training kit where I say use NFS on loopback for simplicity.

Of course taking some braindead vanilla Linux FS and exporting it for NFS mounting is NOT A SOLUTION for anything in the database arena.

There is a HUGE difference between NAS and NFS Server exports. A NAS device (e.g., NetApp,EMC Cellera, HP EFS-CG) has a lot of specialized NFS server-side stuff that makes it hold together for things like databases or hard-hitting file serving. Since PolyServe is funding the V4 NFS development at CITI, there is an ever-so-slight chance that it will get even better.

Disclaimer. I work for PolyServe and I have intimate knowledge about what databases on NAS are supposed to look like.