RE: 10gR2 RAC on single SLES9 node

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:42:35 -0700

Too many people are making this too difficult with musing of firewire, ocfs, losetup(8), who-knows-what-else. To set up single-system multiple-instance with any Linux distro is as simple as settng up one filesystem as an NFS mount (loopback). Use this NFS mount for 100% of anything that needs to be shared (CRS,database, shared Oracle Home if you wish). Too many people seem to think that Oracle software will only treat NetApp exports as NAS...as if somehow there is a little ghost inside the server or CRS that can detect that there is a NetApp filer downwind of an NFS mount.

Oracle tools do a stat call on the mount. If it is NFS and has the right mount options, you are on your way. Make sure to set filesystemio_option=directIO to get the full experience although with the loopback NFS model direct IO is not really required.

To help dispell the rumor that there is no Oracle on NAS other than NetApp, I offer this URL:
http://www.polyserve.com/pdf/Oracle_NFS_wp.pdf