Re: OT: percent of DBAs that know how to impletement database security measures

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 08:42:30 -0400

On 04/04/2006 08:50:32 PM, Zelli, Brian wrote:

> We have to document every exception for access, limit and restrict
> developers to only development machines and then make every correction,
> move
> and implementation to the production instances. It is a pain but a
> necessary evil to comply with SOX. We have had no issues with the
> federal auditors in the 2 years that reporting has been mandatory. And
> we've gotten to understand our environment from most angles. Not
> perfect but being forced to get there.......

Yes, SoX is a good law which has so far prevented numerous collapses like Enron, MCI or Global Crossing. It was bound to happen, given the evil perpetrated by the DBA personnel in case of all those companies. That is why it is absolutely vital for the database to be over-administered to the point of being ridiculous. Making absolutely sure that user has to enter at least 3 passwords (PC, Oracle and Web proxy) before he or she can start working is extremely important and as effective as Giulliani's "shop until you drop" tactics was against terrorism. Forcing an average cubicle dweller to change password every 90 days is guaranteed to prevent another Enron. It looks like GM is just about to collapse. The only thing preventing it from doing so are regular password changes.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com