Oracle Licensing Productivity Packs

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 16:21:50 -0400

I'm dragging this old thread back out because I just went three rounds with our Oracle Sales guy. I guess I didn't adequately understand what Mogens said when he said,

"Yes, you pay either $60 per Named User Plus license or $3000 per CPU license for each of the OEM Packs. That's always been the case."

My Oracle sales guy is telling me it's $3000 per CPU MONITORED. A year ago, when this thread was started, we bought a one-cpu machine and a one-cpu Oracle 9i Enterprise Edition to host our Enterprise OMS. We paid 12K for the productivity packs after our discount. Now the guy is telling me that it's supposed to be 12K per CPU for every monitored CPU in our Enterprise. My fricken head is spinning. He KNOWS how many CPU's we have, why didn't he say something then? We wouldn't have wasted 12k. Hell, we can only legally use the productivity packs on the OMS database.

What started our conversation today was our question, "Can we go to 10G and use grid control without paying any extra money? We already own the productivity packs." We really wanted all the cool stuff you could do. I'm guessing, legally then, there are very few people in the Oracle world actually using any of the new stuff. It was unreasonably priced then and it is now.

On top of all this is our project manager who is a Microsoftophile who wonders if Oracle is all dat. I'll have to take a fire extinguisher with me when I tell him about this.....