RE: IMPORTANT: Complaint about private answers in oracle-l list

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:12:40 -0400

This is also the commonly accepted practice on some of the high-traffic UNIX lists as well, like Sun-managers. The standard is to put something like SUMMARY: (question or problem), and then aggregate this responses. This also helps future generations, as it makes the solutions to that problem easily google-able.

Matt

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org on behalf of Dennis Williams Sent: Mon 4/3/2006 10:02 AM
To: juancarlosreyesp_at_gmail.com
Cc: Stephane Faroult; Michael Fontana; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: Complaint about private answers in oracle-l list

Juan,

I think people provide private replies for a variety of reasons. To me, once you've solved the question you originally posted, it is nice to post a summary back to the list (and I have seen you do this, Juan). In that you can summarize some ideas that people provided you privately.

Dennis Williams

On 4/2/06, Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <juancarlosreyesp_at_gmail.com> wrote:

        Thank you to all who answered.

	I want to insist the problem is not to get some private emails,
	neither everyone should be forced to post to all the list, what I'm
	telling is the fact, that posting privately is becoming  "the rule",
	when more than 50% of the answers one receives are private answers,
	and not posted to the list.

	I had received privately post from very recognized person in this
	list, on not ot-topics that should be post to every one because are
	very useful. And honestly I don't perceive there are too many post in
	this list to justify to post privately.

	I'm not trying to tell "Every one has to post to everyone", neither
	forcing to post to everyone when someone don't wants to do it.
	What  I'm telling is before posting privately think if wouldn't be
	better to post to all the list, because finally this is a discussion
	forum, not a private question&answers forum service :).

	Have a nice day.