RE: two databases in a server

From: Michael Fontana <MFontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:03:23 -0500

Roger,

Our corporate standard before I came here was ONE SERVER - ONE DATABASE.

Since then, I've embarked upon a project to buy larger servers, with more memory and processors. We now run as many as 10 separate instances on a single server. This simplifies administration, in that we only need to make changes in one place. It reduces maintenance and outage windows, because a single outage for these tasks effects many instances.

I might add that the main reason most of these instances are separate and not combined is that they host 3rd party software (such as SIEBEL, PEOPLESOFT) and have differing operational and uptime requirements, release levels, etc. All of this is easily accomplished with multiple Oracle homes.

The biggest reason to do this is HUGE SOFTWARE LICENSING COST AND HARDWARE SAVINGS (over 1/2 million dollars, in our case). These savings are recurring year over year.

There are certain compromises and changes you must make for consolidation to work for you, but the benefits are worth it. I would definitely go this way if I were setting up a new shop, and would do so in cooperation with Grid, Dataguard and RAC technology.