Re: two databases in a server

From: bill thater <shrekdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:12:00 -0600

On 3/30/06, Ric Van Dyke <ric.van.dyke_at_hotsos.com> wrote:
> Generally it's bad because there is a certain level of resource
> consumption for an instance of any size. So pay the price ONCE and have
> an instance large enough to do all the work needed by all the
> applications using the database. There can be cases where multiple
> instances on the same box are needed, but many cases that I have seen it
> was not needed. Many times folks can use one instance (or at least
> fewer instances) to get the work done.

on the other hand, i've been in situations where pat of a set of applications can't be upgraded and another part needs to be.

which then introduces the "do we need another server?" question.

Bill "Shrek" Thater     ORACLE DBA
       shrekdba_at_gmail.com
"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking