character set conversion

From: Jeroen van Sluisdam <jeroen.van.sluisdam_at_thomascook.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:54:39 +0200

Hi,

I'm investigating a conversion of charactersets. I have WE8ISO8859P1 on the database 9.2.0.6, HP-UX 11.11 I have clients either with WE8ISO8859P1 or WE8MSWIN1252 Accoording to the docs I have run cssan with current charset in from and to This reports mainly quite a few exceptions. These are the garbage in certain fields
and are probably euro signs that could not be converted. When I do the csscan with old and new charterset it reports the same exceptions.

If I interpret the docs correctly I cannot use the alter database characterset command
due to exceptions and different clientsettings. But why not??: 1) I already have garbage in the database so this must / might be cleaned by the users
2) Business wants to store and use the euro sign for future data 3) I could change all clients with their characterset to the new one

Tnx in advance,

Jeroen