RE: ZERO Database Downtime???

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:02:10 -0500

Michael,

Simply put, the "Rolling Upgrade" statement is a lie. Let me explain:

Lets say you have a RAC configuration. You need to perform a minor upgrade (10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.3). You shut down one node. Upgrade the software. Now what do you do? Internal (Data Dictionary) patches need to be applied (catalog, catproc etc). You can only do this with the database up and (for safety reasons) with no users connected. How the heck are you going to do this with the other node up and running?

I was told that this "is being addressed in Oracle 11x".

I would love to hear something different from the better educated folks on this list.

Good Luck!

Tom

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Michael Fontana Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:50 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: ZERO Database Downtime???

Has anyone yet achieved this with Oracle 10g/GRID.

I just went to an Oracle 10g release2 presentation, where it was unequivocally stated that with proper implementation of GRID, downtime for database and server patching can be completely avoided using "rolling upgrade" functionality.

I still have users who insist they must have complete application availability even during schema changes.

Has anyone actually been successful at doing this?

Is it even worthwhile (time, effort, resources) to attempt it?

Is it safe?

Michael Fontana

NTT/Verio

Senior Database Administrator