RE: Going multicore, Sun Fire T2000 (8 cores)

From: Bob Murching <bob_murching_at_budco.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:12:25 -0500

It's a moving target. In the x86 space, the multiplication factor was 1.0, then it was 0.75, now it is 0.5. Compute power keeps getting cheaper so I would expect this trend to continue. Many environments demand every ounce of compute capacity, but a great many other environments still have as much data in their HRMS system or their fulfillment system as they did five or ten years ago. For these companies, the security, manageability, availability and recoverability of something like Oracle Enterprise Edition might be desirable, but the hardware on the market is vast overkill--and that overkill gets compounded by minimum licensing fees. For many systems, a single dual-core Opteron is 2x or 4x as much compute power as is needed. Who wants to pay RDBMS licenses on clock cycles that you'd never realistically use?

With next-gen x86 architectures not more than a couple of quarters away, I expect these licensing changes to continue.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org on behalf of Michael Haddon Sent: Tue 3/28/2006 7:30 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Going multicore, Sun Fire T2000 (8 cores)

We just went through a licensing analysis for the T1000 and the Multicore processors,.. in the Oracle licensing document it states that for Intel Multi-Core system the algorithm is the number of cores * .25 for the processor license. For IBM and/or HP (I might be off a little here cause we didn't dive into the HP and IBM processors) but I believe it stated the #processors * .5.

For SUN Multicore processors the algorithm was the #cores * .75 so for 8 cores the license would be the same as it is for 6 processors

Mike

Matthew Zito wrote:

From an Oracle licensing perspective, 8 cores in the niagra processor count as one processor for Oracle licenseing purposes.

Thanks,