Re: OPatch failed but inventory works

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:17:16 -0500

I posted a similar thread awhile back, subject was: symlinks/OUI. I'm curious if you have a similar history.

My oraInventory was restructured across this oui version boundary, apparently oraInventory was re-engineered as they went to v10:

installActions2005-11-01_09-31-58AM.log:The installer version is 2.2.0.18.0 installActions2005-11-14_01-26-55PM.log:Oracle Universal Installer version is 10.1.0.4.0

I'm thinking this was 9201->9204.

Sometime later, I found my inventory corrupted. Support pointed towards my use of simlinks, but I always, in the back of my mind and with no evidence, suspected something about this boundary.

One thing from that thread my be of interest to you and another was my resolution:

  BTW, support said that they had been asking for a tool to repair the inventory   for a long time, but devel has refused. That says to me a couple of things to me

  1. OUI support sees alot of inventory corruption and 2) OUI devel may be weak.

  I had to reinstall the software to get my oraInventory back.

I may be a few fries short of a happy meal in this mess.